jueves, octubre 09, 2003

Q: You were touring with TOOL?

RF: Yes.

Q: Do you have interest in contemporary rock bands and in any way have they influenced your work in the new album?

RF: The quick answer is yes. I'm interested in the work of other musicians. I personally prefer to see them live, and that makes it more difficult because unless one's resident in a city centre where there's a lot going on. One tends to miss a lot of it. But I was nevertheless listening to TOOL records in the basement in Nashville, where I work with Adrian Belew, while writing the music for The ConstruKction Of Light.

Am I influenced by the people I hear? I hope so. And the people I meet? Yes, I hope so too. I hope I register everything. The direct causal relationships are sometimes a little difficult to trace. For example, I might be more influenced by how a guitarist puts on their guitar, than how they play it or what they play. Now how to actually trace that is the difficult thing. For example, I once asked John McLaughlin (I flew to Paris to interview John when I was a contributing editor to Musician magazine) and asked him what was his interest in Sri Chinmoy. John said I wanted to see how he poured a cup of tea. Now, I understood exactly what John said. At least I believe I do. So sometimes I'm more interested in seeing how the guitarist puts on the guitar than what they actually play.

With regards to TOOL... actually TOOL do happen to be a favourite band of mine, but I don't generally comment on who I like because it leaves out everyone else, and the suggestion might then be that doesn't Robert like them as well. So, I make no further comment on that other than TOOL are wonderful characters. Adam asked me do you hear the King Crimson influence in TOOL? and I said "no, not at all". TOOL are more comfortable being TOOL than King Crimson is comfortable being King Crimson. It's in the nature of the band (KC) I'm afraid.

ESTA ES PALABRA DE FRIPP
TE HALABAMOS SEÑOR

0 Comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Comentarios de la entrada [Atom]

<< Página Principal